Discover the Wonderful Sport of Kayaking
Buying or Renting?
Chances are you'll first rent a kayak. and take lessons before buying your first kayak. That is the prudent thing to do. Renting allows you to try different sizes, set up, and experience kayaks made of different materials. Kayaks range in price from a few hundred dollars to thousands of dollars. Be sure to focus on buying the kayak that is specific to the type of water you'll be paddling.
Seven tips for first time paddlers.
1. Be sure to take Lessons Get yourself a kayaking lesson. You might not think that you need one. How hard can it be to paddle a kayak, right? Trust me, you'll be glad you did.
2. Dress For The Water, Not The WeatherIt might be a hot sunny day, so you’ll be tempted to wear shorts and a tee to go kayaking. But the water temperature might be colder than you think. Make sure you wear clothes that are appropriate for the water, not the air temperature.
3. Always Wear A Buoyancy Aid. Wearing a buoyancy aid is essential for any kayaker - whether you are a beginner or an experienced paddler.
4. Sit Properly In Your Kayak. Learning how to sit properly in a kayak will make it so much easier when you start paddling.
5. Don't Kayak Alone. If there is one tip I would like to read in every kayaking for beginners guide it would be don’t kayak alone. It’s never a good idea to go kayaking by yourself - no matter how much experience you have had. Team up with another kayaker. If you get into trouble, at least there is someone there to help.
6. Know How To Rescue Yourself. The number one rule of kayaking for beginners is knowing how to rescue yourself and others. You might not capsize on your first kayaking excursion - especially if the water is calm and flat - but it’s always good to be prepared.
7. Hold the Paddle Properly. This might sound obvious, but plenty of people hold their paddle the wrong way when learning to kayak. Hold the paddle with both hands just over shoulder distance apart. Make sure the concave part of the blade is facing you. When you dip the paddle blade into the water, the concave part should sweep through the water. Check your knuckles are in line with the blade.
Essential gear list
The key to a great day on the water is having the proper gear and being prepared for the weather. With this gear list you'll be sure to be comfortable and prepared for whatever the day brings. Fire up the Amazon account and let's start shopping for all the best kayaking gear.
The Basics at the very least you need to have a few things to get on the water. These include a PFD, sprayskirt (if the weather is bad), bilge pump, and a paddle. Don't forget to bring a bottle of water, a signal whistle, and sunscreen. With these basics you're ready to go...almost.
Proper Clothing is essential and never more so than when on the water where weather conditions can change quickly. Make sure to have a hat to protect yourself from the sun, a rain jacket, long sleeve shirt or something warm in the event the temperature drops or you get wet, and finally, neoprene boots or TEVAs are great for protecting your feet.
Three great places to take lessons.
Are you ready to get on the water? Looking for the perfect Carolina Beach vacation rental? Well pack up the kayak, book some lessons and grab your gear because we have all the best places on the North Carolina coast. Give us a call today at 888-256-4804 or click the button below to begin planning your beach vacation today.
Do you have a favorite tip or place to kayak on Carolina Beach? If so leave a comment below and let us know about it.